- Policy and planning: works with the chief executive and the board to establish the guiding principles, policies, purpose and vision for the organisation;
- Budget and Finances: works with the appropriate board members and committees to oversee the budget and assumes responsibility for the integrity of its finances;
- Board meetings: Leads and facilitates board meetings by making sure that the agenda is closely followed, every board member has the opportunity to participate in discussions, and the board uses proper decision-making procedures;
- Board committees: serves as an ex-officio member of all board committees and works to structure a committee system that contributes to the board’s overall effectiveness;
- Board development: Oversees efforts to build and maintain a strong board by setting goals and expectations for the board, cultivating leadership among individual board members, and working with the governance committee to make board development a priority;
- Board recruitment and orientation: Works with the governance committee to identify and recruit new board members who bring important skills, knowledge, and diversity to the board;
- Board evaluation: works to make sure the board has opportunities to reflect regularly on how well it is meeting its responsibilities to the organisation – in part by overseeing a board self-assessment every two to three years;
- Staff oversight, compensation, and evaluation: Oversees the hiring, evaluation, and compensation of the chief executive; and ensures the existence of a succession plan for the chief executive’s position;
- Public relations, communications and Advocacy: Speaks for the board in the event of a controversy or crisis; oversees the development of communications policies; and works to promote the work of the organisation in conversations, speeches, interviews, and other day-to-day activities.
My takeout: well there isn’t one really as this is a very short list, as I mentioned last week, of the key responsibilities of a Board Chair.
Tony Hassed - founder and director of BoardSense Limited - the place where we talk about and promote Good Governance and Healthy Boards.